They say (I'm not sure who, but I'm sure someone has said it... Or I just made it up) that good kitchen creations start with a craving. I like to imagine flavours in my head before I put them together. Like last night I was wondering what would banana bread and Nutella would taste like together. Don't get me wrong, I've tried bananas and nutella mixed together, in a sandwich or just in a tortilla wrap (like a banana, nutella taco if you would - God, I'm so Mexican...) But, here's where imagination kicks in. Nutella, like any other thing out there, would change it's flavour once you add heat to it. Anything in it's 'raw' presentation tastes completely difference once you cook it.
Imagine a glass of rum or wine, once you add it to a dish and cook it you change the chemical balance in it and then change the flavour... It add a little hint of sweetness to it. It's no different with Nutella. It changes the flavour, but for the better... You're probably like "How can Nutella taste even better???" it can!!!
Give this recipe a try, remember that you can feel free to change up the portions or to add different elements that you think might work... Say Strawberry yogurt instead of milk... I'd imagine that it'll add a different layer of flavour to it. The only best way to find out, is to try it!
Remember that recipes are supposed to be used as a guide... Recipes are not a Mathematical formula that you should use each and every single time to get to that result. Use your imagination and feel free to play with flavours and ingredients. Imagine how one thing mixed with another would taste and then decide if that's something you would like to eat! Best of Luck and enjoy!
Nutella Banana Bread!
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butter, softened and unsalted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1¼ cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅓ cup milk
- ¾ cup Nutella
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Spray 9×5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
4 . In a separate large bowl, mix in low speed the softened butter, the sugar and butter together. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg is added. Add mashed bananas, milk and vanilla and beat until well combined. Add flour mixture, beat at low speed just until flour is incorporated (don’t over mix).
5. In a small microwave save bowl, add Nutella and heat for 15 seconds. Stir to evenly mix heated Nutella. Add 1 cup of the banana bread batter to the Nutella and stir until well mixed.
6. Spoon Nutella batter alternately with plain banana bread batter into the prepared loaf pan. Swirl batters together with a knife. (don't over mix if you want to add that 2-tone bread)
7. Bake 50 to 60 minutes. Cool in pan for at least 15 minutes and then remove loaf from pan and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
"...This Shit is bananas, B-A-N-A-N-A-S!!!!" - Gwen Stefani