Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Recycling or Upcycling... Pallets are taking shape.



On my last post I said that I got invited on a Media Challenge/Fundraiser by Brookline Public Relations taking place at the Calgary + Home Garden Show from February 28 until March 3 at the BMO Centre - Stampede Park.

The Challenge was to make anything that my little heart, and imagination, desired with 3 Pallets. The sky, and $120 dollars, was the limit! That got me thinking, doesn't really happen that often, and I wanted to build something that was of use around the house but at the same time different. Something that was hard to find.


I let my imagination wander and I also did a lot of clicking on pinterest... One click lead to another, one link took me from one page to another and then, I saw it...

IKEA - Malm Dessing Table
Trust me, I honestly don't know how I got to the IKEA website and found this Vanity Table... But I decided that this is something I could do and that I wanted to make. But I wanted to make it a little cooler, I wanted to add a distress/rustic look to it. It was time to put all those long hours of watching Bryan Baeumler on Disaster DIY to work. It's time to show people that you can learn something from watching TV.

On Friday evening I went out to Rona and Home Depot and bought my items, and on Saturday I started building... After 8 hours of building time on Saturday, 4 hours on Sunday and 2 hours on Monday, this is the progress so far...















It really hasn't been all that hard. As long you come in with a game plan, some drawings, an idea of what you want and how to accomplish it, determination and stubbornness... You can accomplish anything you want!

Please remember that this table will be up for auction at the Calgary Home + Garden Show and all the profits of this auction will be going towards the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

What do you think? Not bad for a radio guy, eh?!

Ps- If you will like to take a crack at making your own, I will give you the best piece of advice, something I wish I would've thought off before starting to make this. Buy and wear gloves! Those slivers and splinters HURT like you have no idea!

Keep it KooL Calgary!

No comments: